Welcome to Lynden Christian Spanish Immersion!
Would you like your child to be bilingual and challenged academically? Spanish Immersion program may be for you!
What is Immersion?
- A research-based, proven method of educating children by immersing them in a second or “target” language so they become fully bilingual.
- The classroom environment becomes the setting for language acquisition through core subject content instruction, educational discourse, and social interactions.
How does it work?
- Students begin their immersion experience in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade.
- Students are taught to read, write, and converse in Spanish by becoming immersed in the Spanish language throughout the school day. All core subject areas are taught in Spanish.
- Explicit teaching of English only skills (that are not transferable), beginning in third grade, occurs through core subject areas such as social studies or science.
- By the end of fifth grade, students will become fluent in Spanish (as compared to a native speaking fifth grader).
- In grades sixth-eighth, students will transition into a secondary continuing immersion experience that will allow students to further build academic vocabulary in Spanish while still changing classes and interacting with their English only classmates.
The Benefits of Spanish Immersion
Research reveals the following benefits to learning a second language:
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth and enhances a child’s mental development.
- Produces students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children’s understanding of their own native language.
- Enhances children’s ability to learn additional languages.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Increases job opportunities in all careers.
In spite of the challenges of a new program, both our children have thoroughly enjoyed school and especially learning Spanish. The first time our very shy daughter developed enough courage to order her own food at a restaurant it was in Spanish. When she plays with dolls it’s not uncommon for them to be speaking in Spanish. Our son often comes home talking about the new Spanish words he learned. When we ask him what his favorite thing at school was that day, the answer is almost always “Everything!” – Amy Harman
Academically, we were nervous that by doing the program there was a risk that our kids’ reading in English would suffer. Amazingly, both of our kids have learned or are learning to read in Spanish, and those skills have transferred over to reading in English without any formal instruction. We would encourage anyone interested in the program to visit the school! – Brian & Melissa Koning
As we began to research the overwhelming benefits of acquiring another language at a young age, (from brain development and “working-out” the language branches of the brain to strengthening cognitive processes, the potential for higher academic achievement and the potential to acquire additional languages including music, coding, DNA research, etc. and develop empathy towards people of all cultures) the decision to choose Spanish Immersion was easy, despite our fears. -Amy Randolph
Lynden Christian partners with add.a.lingua to help design a research-based curriculum, provide experience in immersion education, and facilitate teacher training. Their expertise in working with other Christian Schools throughout the country will give our program the support and training for a terrific foundation. More information about add.a.lingua can be found on their website.
Lynden Christian School is located at 417 Lyncs Drive, Lynden Washington.
Please contact Jay Allen, Development Director, at 360-318-9525.
For additional information on Spanish Immersion see the attached file HERE.