Welcome to Evergreen Christian Spanish Immersion!
Would you like your child to be bilingual and challenged academically? Evergreen's Spanish Immersion program may be for you!
What is Immersion?
- A research-based, proven method of educating children by immersing them in a second or "target" language so they become fully bilingual.
- The classroom environment becomes the setting for language acquisition through core subject content instruction, educational discourse, and social interactions.
How does it work?
- Students begin their immersion experience in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade.
- Students are taught to read, write, and converse in Spanish by becoming immersed in the Spanish language throughout the school day. All core subject areas are taught in Spanish.
- Explicit teaching of English only skills (that are not transferable), beginning in third grade, occurs through core subject areas such as social studies or science.
- By the end of fifth grade, students will become fluent in Spanish (as compared to a native speaking fifth grader).
- In grades sixth-eighth, students will transition into a secondary continuing immersion experience that will allow students to further build academic vocabulary in Spanish while still changing classes and interacting with their English only classmates.
The Benefits of Spanish Immersion
Research reveals the following benefits to learning a second language:
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth and enhances a child's mental development.
- Produces students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children's understanding of their own native language.
- Enhances children's ability to learn additional languages.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Increases job opportunities in all careers.
Evergreen Christian partners with add.a.lingua to help design a research-based curriculum, provide experience in immersion education, and facilitate teacher training. Their expertise in working with other Christian Schools throughout the country will give our program the support and training for a terrific foundation. More information about add.a.lingua can be found on their website.
Our Spanish Immersion program is located at 400 Meadowbrook Court in Bellingham, WA. We refer to it as our Cordata Campus.
Please contact Glen Hendricks, Principal, at 360-988-3473.