Welcome to ECS!
Evergreen Christian and Bellingham Christian Schools Reunite
Evergreen Christian School’s English Program Preschool – Grade 5
Welcome and thank you for your interest in Christian education. We are excited to announce that after nearly 10 years of discussion, ECS’ English Program and BCS will become one school under the leadership of the BCS School Board. The staff and students at ECS will unify with the students and staff at BCS in order to provide an even higher quality education for families in Bellingham. The long range goal is for this unified elementary/middle school to grow into a Christian high school in Bellingham. All preschool students will be served at the Spring Creek campus. Kindergarteners will be served at both the Spring Creek campus and the Sunset St. Campus. The Spring Creek campus is housed in Spring Creek Bible Church located at 567 E Kellogg Rd. The Sunset St. Campus is located at 1600 Sunset St. In order to schedule a tour for Preschool or Kindergarten or for more information about BCS, please click here. You can also call the BCS and speak with Kellie Schmidt.
Evergreen Christian School’s Spanish Immersion Program
Evergreen Christian School’s growing Spanish Immersion program will remain under the leadership of Lynden Christian Schools and in partnership with add.a.lingua. We will continue to serve students at our Cordata campus housed in Birchwood Presbyterian Church at 400 Meadowbrook Ct. off of Cordata Pkwy. We currently offer a Total Early One-Way Spanish Immersion program for students in preschool through 3rd grade with the addition of 4th grade in the fall of 2019. Students can enter the program until 1st grade. Older students may apply if they have some Spanish speaking/reading/writing ability at the time of application. Parents interested in learning more about this unique educational opportunity can call Glen Hendricks at 1-360-738-8248 to schedule a time to visit classes, tour the facility and hear more about the vision for our Spanish Immersion program. Click here for more information.
Here's the link to the Spanish Immersion Las Posadas.
What is Immersion?
- A research-based, proven method of educating children by immersing them in a second or "target" language so they become fully bilingual.
- The classroom environment becomes the setting for language acquisition through core subject content instruction, educational discourse, and social interactions.
How does it work?
- Students begin their immersion experience in preschool, kindergarten, or first grade.
- Students are taught to read, write, and converse in Spanish by becoming immersed in the Spanish language throughout the school day. All core subject areas are taught in Spanish.
- Explicit teaching of English only skills (that are not transferable), beginning in third grade, occurs through core subject areas such as social studies or science.
- By the end of fifth grade, students will become fluent in Spanish (as compared to a native speaking fifth grader).
- In grades sixth-eighth, students will transition into a secondary continuing immersion experience that will allow students to further build academic vocabulary in Spanish while still changing classes and interacting with their English only classmates.
The Benefits of Spanish Immersion
Research reveals the following benefits to learning a second language:
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth and enhances a child's mental development.
- Produces students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves children's understanding of their own native language.
- Enhances children's ability to learn additional languages.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Increases job opportunities in all careers.
Evergreen Christian partners with add.a.lingua to help design a research-based curriculum, provide experience in immersion education, and facilitate teacher training. Their expertise in working with other Christian Schools throughout the country will give our program the support and training for a terrific foundation. More information about add.a.lingua can be found on their website.
Our Spanish Immersion program is located at 400 Meadowbrook Court in Bellingham, WA. We refer to it as our Cordata Campus.
Please contact Glen Hendricks, Principal, at 360-738-8248.