Our earliest history can be traced to a group of hearty families who settled in the pioneer town of Lynden in the late 1800s. These courageous Christians, who came from Michigan, Iowa, Dakotas, and the Netherlands, are identified as the nucleus that conceived the idea of a Christian school. They wanted an education founded on the Word of God, which would allow them to exercise their parental baptismal vows.
God's blessing on their vision followed by decades of faithful and dedicated parents gave realization to the Christian school for which we thankfully celebrate an existence of over 100 years.
During the spring of 1910, a group was identified to organize the new school. The Society for Christian Instruction was formed, Articles of Incorporation were written, a School Board selected, and the search for a school building began. By early June, property had been purchased and construction began in earnest that summer. This building, on Grover Street, was completed and in service by February of 1911. Doors opened the fall of 1911 in rented quarters with an enrollment of 72 students—which exceeded everyone's expectations!
By 1930, the school offered junior high education; Lynden Christian expanded to include secondary education in a newly built facility dedicated in 1947. Only two years later, visionary supporters began the first phase of a new elementary school complex near the high school on Drayton Street. By 1965, the current high school building was dedicated and the First Street building became the middle school, creating a compact and unified campus.
Always pressing on, supporters have moved forward in faith with more campus expansions and improvements:
- 1977: Industrial arts and agriculture building
- 1994: Multi-million dollar middle school
- 1999: Central Business Office
- 2002: Worship and Fine Arts Center
- 2006: Renovation of the SE wing of the high school
- 2008: Renovation of the SW wing of the high school
- 2011: Strength and Fitness Center
Another exciting development for Lynden Christian School was the merger with Evergreen Christian School in 2006. Evergreen was located on the premises of The Firs near the southwest shore of Lake Whatcom. In the summer of 2009, Evergreen moved its campus to Spring Creek Bible Church on E. Kellogg Road in Bellingham. Growing Christian education in Whatcom County has always been the intent of the founders and current administration of Lynden Christian School and this merger was a step closer to that goal.
Lynden Christian School has faithfully provided Christ-centered education for over a century. The years may pass but the dedication, sacrifice and vision of the parents remain the same. Today, as in years past, our parents fervently desire a faith-based education for their children.